Blachly-Lane’s bylaws Articles III and IV outline the duties and responsibilities of the board of directors. Board members as individuals:
- Become familiar with the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the cooperative and conduct the business in accordance with their provisions.
- Attend regular and special meetings of the board.
- Understand the terms of all contracts into which the co-op has entered by the authority of the board — leases, loan agreements, membership and marketing agreements, supply and other contracts.
- Are familiar with the state law under which the cooperative was incorporated.
- Understand the general legal responsibility of serving on the board of directors.
- Are responsive to innovative ideas and changes that are in the best interest of the membership at large.
- Commit to participate in training programs to better understand the cooperative’s operations and the director’s role in it.