SCHOLARSHIPS: New for 2021
Due to COVID-19, the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) Youth Tour has been canceled for 2021. In its place, Blachly-Lane Electric Cooperative is offering two $1,600 scholarships. This is anticipated to be a one-time scholarship offering for 2021 only. The scholarships are for graduating high school seniors.
One scholarship will be awarded to a student furthering their studies at a university or college this fall. One scholarship will be awarded to a student entering vocational school, with preference given to students enrolling in Vocational Outside Line Training Academy (VOLTA).
The applicant’s parent or legal guardian must be a Blachly-Lane member with an active account, and the applicant must live in the home of the member parent/guardian.
Funds will be disbursed once proof of enrollment is received. Once received, scholarship funds will be sent directly to the college, vocational, or lineworker school in the student’s name.
Applications must be received no later than 5:30 p.m., Thursday, April 1, 2021.
Completed applications should be emailed to Pam Spettel, with the subject line Scholarship Program or mailed to:
Blachly-Lane Electric Cooperative
ATTN: Scholarship Program
90680 Highway 99 N
Eugene, OR 97402
YOUTH TOUR: CANCELLED FOR 2021
Junior Class Student Opportunity
DUE TO COVID-19, YOUTH TOUR IS CANCELLED FOR 2021. This opportunity is specifically for junior class students. As Blachly-Lane’s Youth Tour representative in Washington, DC, you will participate in National Youth Day, visit with your representative and senators, and explore monuments and sights around the nation’s capital. You will meet other rural electric co-op student representatives from across the nation, and learn about electric cooperatives, American history, and U. S. government. In the end, you’ll come home with a greater understanding of your great nation, your role as a citizen, and with many new friends.
Students travel with two chaperones and fellow students from their state and will interact with many other students from around the U.S. who are representing their electric co-ops.
Past Tour Representatives
- 2015- Makenna Pennel and Noah Alley, Triangle Lake School
- 2016- Audrey Sherman, Junction City High School
- 2017- Vicente Mather, Triangle Lake School
- 2018- Elle Russell, Elmira High School
- 2019- Zachary Pennel, Triangle Lake School
- 2020- Jasper Beck (Trip was canceled due to COVID-19)
Note: Due to potential conflicts of interest, employees and their family members, board members, and their family members are not eligible to apply to be Blachly-Lane Electric Cooperative Youth Tour Representatives.
Competition Rules & Requirements
To be eligible for the competition, students must:
- Be in the 11th grade when applying
- Live in the home of a parent or legal guardian who is an active Blachly-Lane member living in the Blachly-Lane service area
- Be available to attend the tour to Washington D.C.
- Submit the completed application and 1 original letter of recommendation to Blachly-Lane Electric Cooperative
- If needed, attend a personal interview at Blachly-Lane’s office located at 90680 Highway 99 in Eugene (We will contact you in advance to schedule an interview if this is needed.)
- Attend Blachly-Lane’s Annual Meeting to be introduced and again after attending the Youth Tour to give a short presentation to members about your Youth Tour experience.